A home away from home…It’s never easy for a parent to be apart from their child. For the parent of a child with autism, the decision to choose a residential program is a difficult one, but one that is in their child’s best interest. It is ultimately a decision that provides a second home with an enriched environment designed to meet their child’s specific needs while offering a positive climate that motivates learning and stimulates personal growth.
Anderson Center’s Children’s Residential Program, in conjunction with our Education Program, offers a complete array of specialized services and a safe, comfortable home environment designed to enrich the lives of children with autism. This unique program utilizes proactive and support strategies to encourage life and social skill development for each child while enhancing their quality of life.
Program at a glance:
- Welcomes school aged children up to 21 years old who have received a primary diagnosis of autism.
- Incorporates behavioral teaching methods and structured learning experiences based on the principles of ABA to foster skill development in areas such as personal care, communication, social interaction, recreation, play, and community integration.
- Children live on campus in homes designed to provide a safe, comfortable environment that motivates learning and stimulates personal growth.
- Placement in particular houses is based on age, abilities, and learning needs.
Residence managers design house-specific routines, chores, and activities that support an individual’s growth and development.
- Support strategies, such as visual and environmental tools (activity schedules with icons, communication boards, task analysis strips, sensory activities, and more) identified by speech and occupational therapists and behavior specialists/analysts are an important program component.
- A variety of typical childhood experiences such as community activities, visits to museums, parks, swimming, movies, dining out, and more are provided.
- Opportunities for participation in after school programs such as sports, arts and crafts, computer games, dance and relaxation classes, cooking experiences and more.
- Family connections are vital to the development and happiness of our youngsters. We nurture these healthy relationships through family outings, private family times at our on campus Family Visiting Centers and home visits whenever possible.